FATHER'S DAY, JUNE 18, 2023
Up here at the mountain we are delighted at the growing appreciation for dads. Father’s Day, Sunday, June 18, 2023, is only a little over a century old. It began in 1910, by a young girl whose mother had died in childbirth and was raised by her father. It was President Lyndon Johnson, in 1966, who issued a proclamation that Father’s Day would be the 3d Sunday in June, saying that fathers “provide the strength and stability which characterize the successful family.” By 1972 President Nixon made it a national holiday.
In addition to the Father’s Day Collection of gifts we have curated for you, we collected some other ideas for your consideration:
- Fishing trip
- Golding outing
- Completing a DIY building kit
- Beach trip
- Attending and Air Show (if one is in driving distance.
- Wash his car
- Create a backyard leisure zone – minimum requirements would be a comfortable chair in the shade, his favorite drink, a playlist of his favorite songs.
- Backyard lawn games include croquet, frisbee, cornhole, water balloon fight
- Create a performance – write and act out a play, sing, play a musical instrument
- Have Dad take a trip down memory lane by creating a list of questions, e.g. “describe the house you grew up in, who was your best friend and how did you meet, what was your job in high school, who was your favorite teacher, how did you meet Mom?”
In closing, we offer our favorite quote about Dads, "My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me." — Jim Valvano
However you decide to spend the day it will almost certainly give you the opportunity to
REMEMBER THE GREAT OUTDOORS!!