7 Steps for Selecting the Best Sleeping Bag
Choosing the right sleeping bag involves several factors that are unique to the destination and the prevailing weather conditions at various times of the year. Balancing the full enjoyment of the elements of nature with creature comfort is the challenge of all outdoor adventurers. Restful sleep is one of the most important factors in maintaining rugged physical fitness.The characteristics of the sleeping bags that are most important are:
- Temperature rating is the coldest temperature at which the bag will provide warmth.
- Bulk is the thickness of the bag.
- Bulk affects the comfort as well as the temperature rating.
- Weight is the factor that will be most relevant during the day as you bike, hike, climb, etc.
- Lighter-weight insulation materials will increase the price of the sleeping bag.
- Outer shell material should be water-resistant but still breathable for maximum comfort.
- Multi-seasonal sleeping bags, will be less likely to accommodate more extreme conditions.