Are You Ready for Some Summer?!?!
Memorial Day Trivia
- Memorial Day was originally named Decoration Day with the purpose of encouraging people to decorate soldiers' graves.
- General John Logan started the holiday in 1868, during his term as a United States Senator from Illinois.
- The American Civil War resulted in the creation of the country’s first national cemetery - Arlington National Cemetery.
- The official Birthplace of Memorial Day is Waterloo, NY because they were the first to celebrate with Community-wide events and grave decorations.
- Memorial Day became a legal federal holiday in 1971.
In addition to being an important patriotic day on which we solemnly honor those brave veterans who have given their lives in service to our country, Memorial Day is the unofficial first day of summer (which, as a season begins in June). We offer a small sample of our items that highlight some of the fun things to do and wear this time of year.